Saturday, December 15, 2012

The Weighting Game - August 2012 Article


Ah, summertime and dieting. The two are not very good friends. Most of us start a new diet program in January. The health and nutrition industries capitalize on this – just take notice to the increased advertising for health club memberships, diet shakes, etc. every January. And most of us quit our health resolutions by March and by June, well, some of us our gaining the weight we lost between January through March. It’s a horrible cycle and often referred to as “yo-yo” dieting. That used to me. This is the longest I’ve lasted without a “relapse” in my quest to lose weight and be healthy. I often surprise myself with this small miracle.
What is the magic answer, you wonder? If I had to sum it up in a simple phrase I’d say “commitment to a lifestyle change.”  I never truly understand what this meant until I tried it. Choosing a new lifestyle requires many changes in habits. If we can form bad habits, we can form good habits. It requires constant thinking and re-conditioning of the way we think. In the world of improv we call this “re-training the brain.”

So, at this writing it’s the middle of July and I’ve only lost five pounds since last month’s article. The old me would have gotten frustrated and went on an eating binge. The new me learned to be patient as well as self-aware of what I’m really doing (or not doing). Some of you are quick to say “you’ve hit a plateau – that happens.” Molly (my trainer) has convinced me that plateaus are a bit of a myth.  I do think our bodies get accustomed to the same food and exercise routines but the truth is if we eat less and burn more calories, we will lose weight. If we’re not losing weight it’s because we’ve messed with that simple formula. Molly often asks me “Have you been perfect?” in regards to my eating. In the beginning it was easy to be perfect because the diet was like a new toy. Results motivated me to continue to be perfect. But I’m not as “perfect” as I could be, especially in the summer and double especially when I travel on business. Social drinking during these times is my weakness that prevents me from losing more weight at a faster rate. Great food in other cities is also a huge temptation. But the small victory here (and something new for me) is that I’m not gaining weight because I continue to exercise at least five times a week and I eat completely differently.  My new way of over indulging is eating too much trail mix instead of cookies.  Being bad with my exercise routine is exercising four times instead of of not exercising at all. It’s official – I have truly changed my lifestyle. I’ve set the foundation to continuously lose weight and improve my health, maybe not at the speed I want but that doesn’t matter anymore to me because I feel and look better than ever.

My biggest highlight in the past month has been having my trainer back on the job after giving birth to her beautiful baby. She really pushes me hard and while I haven’t lost a lot of weight this month I can really see a change in my body in the past month. My body is getting tighter and toner and I’m wearing smaller clothes. And I’m physically stronger. There’s something about building muscles and producing endorphins that’s truly addictive. I feel amazing after a good sweat and feel even better when I hear “You look amazing.” I just don’t want to hear that phrase too often because I don’t want to get complacent. Yet, I also don’t like hearing “Great job. Keep it up.” My gut reaction is “How much more do you think I need to lose?” Ha! How ridiculous, right?  Next time you run into me just say “Hey, you’re perfect the way you are.” At the end of the day we need to be happy with who we are and others will be too. Love yourself no matter your size … as long as you’re healthy. 

This blog was originally published in the August issue of South Carolina Woman Magazine.

No comments:

Post a Comment