Saturday, December 15, 2012

The Weighting Game - July 2012 Article


This blog was originally published in the July issue of South Carolina Woman Magazine.

Six months into my health journey I’m down 60 pounds and three sizes! I look in the mirror and I actually see a different PHYSICAL person, which is echoed often by my husband and others around me. This journey is so rewarding and at a price of hard work and dedication. The more I lose the harder it gets. The old me would have given up by now. Can you relate? I know many of you can. Recently a friend said, “I’m not losing anything anymore. I might as well enjoy myself and eat.” Ah, warning, this is the danger zone. This is where it all goes wrong. Don’t listen to that inner, evil voice! This is, for me, the hardest point where you need to maintain will power, confidence and endurance to keep going. Don’t give up. Trust me and step away from the ice cream.

May and June were not the easiest months for me because Molly, my trainer, went on maternity leave at my most vulnerable point. I told her that in the past I usually gave up three or four months into a weight loss plan. I did not remind her of this when she went on leave because I didn’t want her to worry about me. Despite the fact that she would be consumed with having a baby, Molly is so dedicated to her clients that I knew she’d worry at least a little if I told her I was scared to be without her. So, I worked that much harder to at least not gain weight in her absence. She had made a work out plan for me to follow but I got confused with it and hated trying to do it alone, so I pulled out the YMCA group exercise schedule and literally scheduled on my calendar all of the classes I would be taking each month. Once something is on my calendar, I’ll do it. I had fun exploring new classes and new teachers. I checked out Shanti Yoga Studio and started taking yoga for a new challenge. I ran more in preparation for the Run Like A Diva 5K. Bottom line, I kept going with both exercise and diet, even when traveling on business.

Some Suggestions To Keep Going:
-          Introduce new exercise options to stay challenged and to prevent boredom; vary your exercise with weights and cardio and include interval work outs.
-          Keep a journal of what you’re eating and drinking, including your water intake. Don’t like to journal? Try one of the many free online options or phone apps, such as myfitnesspal.com
-          Join or start a Facebook group where others share their daily accomplishments – it will inspire and guilt you at the same time, while holding you accountable to the world.
-          Schedule exercise with friends so that you have to show up since they’re waiting for you.
-          Eat out a lot, be it preference or no choice? Don’t feel bad to ask for what you want (as long as it’s healthy), such as “Salmon, dry, no butter and steam the vegetables.” Today restaurants seem to expect these requests and it makes dieting so much easier.
-          If you like to drink (alcohol) like I did (do), stop it! Well, at least modify it. I didn’t believe Molly when she said that drinking would slow down my weight loss until I stopped it and watched four pounds disappear in a week. Sounds crazy, but try scheduling your “drinking” night to one night a week and look forward to it like a special day.
-          Do not let summer be an excuse for over indulging. Instead, visit a farmers market and buy fresh vegetables and fruits to put in containers to snack on.
-          Set mini-goals and celebrate the small successes. It doesn’t have to be an “all or nothing approach”. For several months I was addicted to the scale and it drove me crazy. I’ve been much calmer by not weighing myself constantly and instead focusing on following the path to a healthier life.

Some of my recent successes:
-          Hearing my husband constantly telling me how good I look.
-          Ran my first 5K without stopping! Didn’t think I would actually run it, but I did and then I cried for accomplishing such a feat for me.
-          Lost weight while on a business trip because I worked out every day in the hotel gym and watched my diet.
-          Cheating by eating chips and French onion dip to discover I no longer like the way it tasted!
-          Saying “Oh my goodness, I haven’t worked out in two days and couldn’t wait to work out today.”
-          Blood pressure continuing to remain at 120/75 WITHOUT medication.
-          Went down another size and threw away more clothes.
-          Being called “skinny”… often!
-          Having my mother pick me up from the airport and not being able to recognize me.
-          Was hit on by a gorgeous 20-something man and felt like a sexy “cougar”.

No comments:

Post a Comment