Saturday, December 15, 2012

The Weighting Game - September 2012 Article


I'm 70 pounds lighter since January! Yes! My goal was to lose 80 by my one year wedding anniversary of October 1 and I’m on track. Of course leave it Molly The Trainer to push me by telling me I can lose more. Everyone needs a Molly. Someone recently asked me if I still plan on using Molly when I’ve complete my goal and my gut reaction was “Leave Molly? I don’t think I can do that.” Molly is now a habit that may be hard to break.

Last month I mentioned that it’s just as easy to form a good habit as it is to form a bad habit and now I can attest to this being so true for me personally. I’m not sure if I’ve mentioned the fact that I’m easily bored and need constant stimuli to keep myself interested in things be it personally or professionally. I told Molly I was getting bored of my nutrition routine of two shakes and a meal a day and that I wanted a new structure – I thrive with new projects so I thought it might be good to change things up. So, Molly gave me a new diet to follow. I won’t tell you too much about it only because some of you will think it’s a little crazy (and some of you have already told me that). Let’s just say that this diet includes a “cheat day” every five days. I was a bit excited because I really haven’t had one of those since January. Cool, right? No!!! It was awful. I hated it. I felt like a recovering addict being tempted back to the dark side and it made me so uncomfortable. I’ve spent so much time re-training my brain to eat healthy that I really had no desire for the pasta lunch and all of the starches and dairy at dinner. It felt so weird. Being dairy and sugar free has been awesome. So, when it comes to cheating I wasn’t really sure what or how to eat and I can’t even believe I’m saying that. I immediately returned to my previous plan of two Body By ViSalus shakes (I’m a distributor) and a meal. 

That is a habit I’m enjoying and keeping for now. As Molly says, “It’s working.”
My exercise habit is still in place as well. Variation is the key to keeping this habit in place. I really can’t imagine not working with Molly at least once week after I’ve reached my goal. The leaner and stronger I get, the more addicted I become. I’m competitive. I need to be challenged and pushed and while I’ve learned to push myself more than I ever thought I would, it’s good to have someone on the sidelines to push you harder when you get tired or bored. It’s rejuvenating.

Let me stress that my progress is based on a concerted effort to make a lifestyle change and I equate this to starting up a new business or taking on a new job. It is definitely a part-time job that requires an investment of time and money. Starting up Carolina Improv Company and UptownTheater were both exhaustive efforts of time, money and dedication. To keep the businesses running successfully I’ve needed to be disciplined, visionary and resilient through the tough times. It’s no different with my health now.
Some have said, “How can you afford it?” My response “I think I’m actually saving money with my new lifestyle.” How do I figure this? Here’s some simple math:

Pre-Lifestyle Change:
Meals & Drinking Out - $500 a month
Prescriptions for blood pressure and acid reflux - $100 per month
Total: $600 per month

Post Lifestyle Change:
YMCA Membership: $40 per month
Personal Trainer: $275 per month average
ViSalus Shakes: $50 per month average (most of my shakes are free now)
Total: $365

The monthly savings does not account for the long term health benefits; however, I must mention that I recently tried to change my health care plan now that I’m off medication and was denied coverage for losing too much weight!!! True story! The other costs that are not factored in are all of the failed attempts to lose weight – the unused gym memberships, home exercise equipment, diet pills and other diet fads. How much money have all of us wasted for no true and sustainable results, in hopes for a quick fix? Something to think about the next time you say that you can’t invest in your health.

This blog was originally published as an article in the September issue of South Carolina Woman Magazine.

No comments:

Post a Comment